Thursday, August 21, 2014

Yellow Stopper as a Peel-off Basecoat

Today Im going to attempt to answer all the questions about using Yellow Stopper as a peel-off basecoat.
When I first started seeing this being called a peel-off basecoat, I was very skeptical. You all know the old saying.."If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." I started doing alot of research online trying to find out all the details about how to use it, number of coats, drying time, etc. Everything I found was kinda vague on details, only saying that it works, soo I decided to do my own research. I went to my local Sallys Beauty Supply and purchased the big bottle of American Classics Yellow Stopper.
 It was $6.99 for a 2.5 oz bottle. I thought that was a really good price for a bottle of clear polish even if it didnt work so what did I have to lose?
Okay, first test. I applied two normal coats of yellow stopper on clean nails. Then, wanting to REALLY test it out, I applied one coat of texture polish and one coat of glitter. I also used one coat of top coat. I waited until later on the next evening and tried to peel the glitter off. It was a disaster.
 It did not peel off at all! I managed to get the polish on one finger to come off in pieces, but I could've done that without a special basecoat! I was really disappointed. I wasn't ready to give up though. I was going to test till I ran out of options. Second test...I applied two thick coats of yellow stopper on clean nails, then two coats of glitter with no topcoat. The next day, same results. I actually peeled off pieces of my nail trying to pick off the polish! I was getting really aggravated at this point! I went back online and started asking alot of questions. I found pics that women had posted saying it working and started sending out messages...alot of messages. To say the least I was determined. The two best answers I got came from @tikaramel971 and @abigailspolish on Instagram. Thank you so very much ladies for saving my sanity!! One of them said to use 4 coats of yellow stopper and another said she had used 3 coats before and it worked really well. Here we go again. I decided to try both suggestions. On one hand I used 3 coats of yellow stopper, letting each coat dry completely. Then I applied two coats of regular polish and did a glitter gradient on top of that. It was actually one of my manis for #depressionawareness. On the other hand I used 4 coats of yellow stopper, again letting each coat dry before the next. I then applied two coats of a really dense glitter, OPI More Than A Glimmer. I was really excited when I awoke the next morning and my polish was already peeling on its own!!
It was on the hand that I only used three coats on and was able to peel off two nails rather quickly.
I tried one of the nails that had 4 coats of the yellow stopper and it peeled off even easier!! Sooo excitng! I then started thinking if it works this well on my fingernails, what about toenails?? I love using glitter on my toes just HATE taking it off. Guess what? Works just as well! I did use 4 coats of yellow stopper on my toes.
Now, I was sharing all this with my sissy during all the research and testing so she decided to give it a try as well. She used three coats and that same night two nails had completely popped off on their own! I'm not sure why it worked even better on her nails. I suspect its just the nails themselves. The level of dryness or oil in the nails may have an effect on how well it works.
Whatever the reason, I hope this helps anyone who is still on the fence about whether or not to invest in this little miracle.

As a side note, even if you don't decide to use this as a peel off basecoat, this stuff makes nails look fantastic!! It has a UV protectant in it which gives it its slightly purple tint. When applied to the nail, even just one coat, it makes the nail bed look pinker and the tips looks whiter. Its like a french tip in a bottle. To me, that alone makes it worth it.

If you have any tips and/or suggestions on using this or would like to share your experience with it, please leave me a comment. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment